Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is coming up in a week or so, and I'm very excited. Thanksgiving is one of the few holidays where my family comes and sit together at the dinner table to eat. I always thought I wasn't normal because my family never ate together. I guess you can say I am relating this to societies view on normality, more specifically, family sitcoms/television shows that always had episodes where family members would eat together at a table, laughing and telling each other how their days went. Because of this, I was ashamed of myself and asked myself why isn't my family like this? But over the years of my childhood, I learned that life isn't all roses and dandelions. Often times, parents have to work overtime/come home late to provide food on the table. Learning how life really was made me grateful for what I had. I am fortunate to have a table when there are people in this world who eat on the ground everyday with no complaints. In conclusion, I appreciate the fact that I still have family members that are able to make it to our family dinner during Thanksgiving. I suppose I am more frustrated at society and its rules of a "normal" childhood or family.

1950's Family Dinner


No comments:

Post a Comment