Thursday, November 21, 2013
Stereotypes
In high school, I think it's very common that people categorize each other in order to know who is who (looking at Rick's sport's bag, football jersey, and posture, I assume he is a jock. Or, judging by Jennifer's poor posture, weird-looking glasses, and un-straightend hair she is a awkward nerd). I don't believe in stereotypes and I don't think other people should believe in stereotypes too. Personally, as an Asian-American student in a school that has a majority of Latinos, I was often bashed on because of my race. Walking through the halls, I would hear different types of stereotypes like go back to the sweat shop factory, where are my nike shoes/dog, please do not eat my dog. I usually laughed at their comments, as it was pretty entertaining. The most ridiculous stereotype to me was learn how to drive because I didn't even know how to drive/didn't even own a car. And so I took my frustrations out during my swim practice, stroking through the water. I will admit, these ignorant people did frustrate me but because I didn't let their words phase me, I was able to do things a "smart" Asian kid from the ghetto wouldn't be able to do in sports. I played football, basketball, swimming, and cross-country for my school. Because I stood out from the norms of my Asian peers, everyone in my high school knew me as the smart Asian kid that played sports. I wasn't really smart, nor would I hate to consider myself one because I'm not. I just knew how to get around things and do what was needed in regards to school and sports. Even though I was recognized for my efforts through sports, to this day, I am still stereotyped as the Asian kid that eats a bowl of rice with every meal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment